The report from the major scoping survey, commissioned by Capturing the Energy, will enable a strategic approach to documenting, and potentially collecting, the heritage of the UK offshore oil and gas industry.
The documentary history of the UK offshore oil and gas industry is held within the records of its operators, supply chain, trade associations, unions, overarching bodies and the people who worked within it. A scoping survey of the industry and its records was undertaken by the Business Archives Council of Scotland to gain information on the records generated by these organisations that are of historical importance and guide Capturing the Energy as they strive to document the industry's heritage.
The survey has:
- identified the different categories of companies and organisations which generate records relating to the UK offshore oil and gas industry
- physically surveyed the records of a representative sample of these organisations to define what records are produced and retained
- offered advice to surveyed organisations on the management, storage and archive provision of their records
- identified organisations that already maintain formal historical archives
- proposed future work priorities and areas of further research.
The Scoping Survey is now complete and available here.